[osflash] [Fwd: Re: need action script help]
chris at bareflix.com
Wed Apr 26 17:02:09 EDT 2006
> Yes, I just started playing with haXe and I?m very excited about its possibilities. I?m still
> using mtasc (as2) on my current project, but I?m really considering migrating to haXe on my
> next project!
> Bill: Could you be more specific about the issues you are facing?
> - Marcelo Serpa.
I'm one of Bill's developers so he's asked me to reply to this.
The problems we face all seem to stem from bugs/mysterious behavior of the
flash player. I've looked at haxe, and while I see that it's better than
actionscript, if it uses the same API, I don't see how it will help.
Because of the nature of our application, we load a lot of .swf's at runtime,
and save a lot of data back to the server to store in a DB. We've had a lot of
problems debugging this because of the async nature of flash's
MovieClipLoader. would haxe change this in any way?
For a more detailed example, our users can create their own buttons to be
displayed on a flash page by selecting from hundreds of fonts and button
styles. Obviously we don't want to load all the unused options, so we load the
fonts and styles as individual .swf files. MOST of the time this works fine,
but sometimes the font is displayed HUGE. From what we can tell, the data use
to determine the size of the font/button is simply wrong when this happens. If
we just hit reload on the browser, our code will get different numbers from
the same data. Is this anything that haxe would help with?
Any other ideas how to fix this? If we add a delay after loading the font and
style, that seems to correct the problem, but of course, slows everything
down. It seems as if flash is not "ready" sometimes when we try to read the
values from the loaded .swf, even though we've waited for all the events from
the movieClipLoader that indicate that it is ready.
Another font related problem that I think is a bug in the flash player: If we
load a font that is bold or italic and use it on an html textField, the blank
vertical space caused by a <p> tag disappears. The same html, displayed with a
non-bold/non-italic font displays the vertical spacing properly.
We also have problems with the input caret in a text field not displaying or
not accepting keyboard input.
Alert boxes sometimes cut off the last line of text when using an embeded font
(we've worked around this by adding newlines to the end of messages, but this
makes the spacing inconsistent)
Various problems with mouse clicks being ignored if the mouse is not moved. I
believe this is related to using V2 components, but none of the suggested
work-arounds I've found have worked.
I'd gladly switch to haxe if it would fix these things, but my feeling is that
they are all flaws/bad design in the macromedia code. Let me know what you
chris at cafeid.com
More information about the osflash